What Is Margashirsha Purnima?
Margashirsha Purnima commemorates the full moon day during the month of Margashirsha, as per the mainstream Hindu calendar. As the name itself suggests, the day of Margashirsha Purnima is dedicated to the moon, the divinity that is believed to be blessed with Amrit. In addition, the day is also commemorated as Dattatreya Jayanti, which is considered the divine form of Trinity lords; Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva.
Significance Of Margashirsha Purnima
As outlined, the day of Margashirsha Purnima is dedicated to the moon god. Moreover, it is considered a very auspicious day and so devotees who take a holy bath on this day and perform sacred rituals to worship the divine lord of Vishnu get the divine blessings and make their life blessed with peace, happiness, and abundant fortunes. Another importance of the day lies in the fact that it is considered auspicious to worship the late ancestors. That said, one can perform the ritual of Tarpan dedicated to the deceased forefathers. The benefit of such a ritual done on Margashirsha Purnima is that it can help those ancestors gain divine salvations, permitting them to attain heaven.
The day of Margashirsha Purnima is notably auspicious because it is believed that young girls who take a holy bath in the Yamuna river on this day would get the life partners they desire. People are also advised to conduct donations or partake in charitable activities on the day of Margashirsha Purnima. It is believed that charitable activities done on Margashirsha Purnima can earn your absolution of the sins of past and current birth. Most importantly – if someone has a desire that requires fulfilment, observing fast on Margashirsha Purnima is considered an ideal way to get it materialised.
Rituals To Be Followed During Margashirsha Purnima –
- As a devotee, you are supposed to wake up early in the morning, finish your daily routines, take a bath, and wear fine cloth. While taking a bath, don’t forget to chant the Gayatri mantra. Also, ensure that you hold the root of the basil plant in your hand while taking a bath and chanting the mantra.
- To please your ancestral deity or Ishta Dev, observe fast on Margashirsha Purnima. Moreover, the religious observance of fast can also earn success by removing obstacles in your life.
- As long as you observe fast, make sure not to eat anything prohibited, such as non-veg foods.
- Margashirsha Purnima is observed to worship lord Vishnu. Therefore, offer reverential regard to the lord, and worship him religiously for peace, happiness and wealth in your life.
- Perform Yajna or have it performed under the supervision of an erudite priest. The result of such a ritual is that it can help you earn the pleasure of lord Vishnu.
- Conduct donations or partake in charitable activities on the day. It will help you set the course of your life positively.
Margashirsha Purnima is a holy day commemorating the full moon day and reverential regard paid to lord Vishnu. The day is considered very auspicious. The day is considered ideal for performing various rituals, including Tarpan for the salvation of the souls of late ancestors.